Thumb Durability?

Thumb Durability?

• 120 points

Has anyone else been experiencing the thumb wearing out and/or splitting prematurely on the StaSof glove?  They are great gloves and I don't mind paying the price for a premium glove, BUT I guess I thought they wouldn't split or wear out so much before the rest of the glove.  Maybe I am just gripping the club in a way that is causing the problem.  It seemed as if they were doing that when I started saving them and now I have my last four.  At least for me, a little reinforcement in that area would help.  Thanks for your feedback.

•  

i have on some of my gloves but if you tell devin or chris they could help you out on that

•  

A question or two for you;

How many rounds before this happens? Range before the rounds?

Can you post a picture of the glove?

If your glove is properly fitted, you should get 5 rounds out of it. If you hit an average bucket of range balls that also would count as a round.

Take a full practice swing ( or two) before each shot on the course, that is another round.

As you can see it all adds up quickly! I have never had a glove split at the seems, but I have worn them out on the thumbs. A lot of excess wear on a glove is a result of: grip pressure being very high, the glove fits too loose, or a less than perfect grip by the player.

A few nice words to FootJoy customer service might get you a replacement, but there are no gaurantees on that!

•  

Sounds to me as if you've got the solution in your original post, never enough.  I believe your grip is the issue, as I have never had a pair of StaSof wear out as you describe.  If your thumb is wearing out, your thumb may be moving around a lot on the grip as you swing, or your pressure with your thumb may be far too high.  As 19hole says, post a picture and maybe someone on here can help with some specifics.  I cannot believe this is an issue with the glove itself.

•  

19hole
    A question or two for you;

How many rounds before this happens? Range before the rounds?

Can you post a picture of the glove?

If your glove is properly fitted, you should get 5 rounds out of it. If you hit an average bucket of range balls that also would count as a round.

Take a full practice swing ( or two) before each shot on the course, that is another round.

As you can see it all adds up quickly! I have never had a glove split at the seems, but I have worn them out on the thumbs. A lot of excess wear on a glove is a result of: grip pressure being very high, the glove fits too loose, or a less than perfect grip by the player.

A few nice words to FootJoy customer service might get you a replacement, but there are no gaurantees on that!

Rick has said 99% , you need to get fitted correctly, and have a pro look at your grip, if your hand is in the wrong position, your thumb  could be moving and making excess wear.

• 1867 points

hmmmm interesting, I wear my thumb out on all of my glove's.

• 2756 points

Agree.  The only time I've had a glove splits is when I tried a M/L as opposed to my normal L and it gave a little quicker than normal.  

•  

Perhaps FJ could do an on-line video about glove fitting (I should charge for these ideas but a pair of icons should do the trick along with my own company parking space).

• 2947 points

The thumb is the first to go on my StaSof gloves, but it is typically after an average of 8 rounds (a bunch of those in damp conditions), not including practice range or practice swings . I do not hold my clubs tightly, and they do not split at the thumb seams, but wear thin and then open up. I've always felt that was normal wear and tear.

• 120 points

Who is Devin or Chris?  Thanks

• 120 points

Where did you get five rounds out of a glove?  I have never really thought about a given number of rounds because of the varying conditions such as weather, sweat, etc.  I guess I would expect in ideal conditions one should expect more than five rounds.  Thanks for the input.

• 120 points

What is the best way to contact cust ser?  thanks

•  

Five rounds is what FootJoy expects. Chris and Devin are the FootJoy staff members that are responsible for this community and work in the marketing department. Check out www.footjoy.com there will be a link to customer service there.

• 120 points

Thanks to all for the information and input.  It sounds as if I am not alone in having the glove wear out in a similar fashion.  Perhaps FootJoy could look into reinforcing the thumb area and make what is already an exceptional glove even better.  

• 120 points

Excellent idea, bholley.  And even though the solution to this problem is not comparable to ending world hunger, perhaps we should both get icons and share the company parking spot for bringing this to footjoy's attention.