How to wash your gloves

How to wash your gloves

•  

A the recent FJ Ambassador Trip, during our trip to Nirvana (a.k.a. Footjoy HQ) we met with Maria Bonzagni (THE Glove Guru) and were told all about gloves. The question was raised, "How do you clean gloves once they get salty from sweat?". Having grown up in Houston, Texas, I learned to sweat at an early age while chasing cattle and playing golf, So Maria asked me to post how to clean gloves. First, salt from sweat will dry out the glove and cause them to crack. By the way, men DO NOT perspire, men SWEAT. Washing your gloves removes most of this salt left behind by sweat and will make your gloves last MUCH longer. Personally, I also believe rotating gloves each hole extends their life.

Any way, the procedure is this:

1. Dirty Glove - note the sweat stains near the thumb and fore finger areas.

2. Put the glove on and rinse it off while rubbing the glove to help wipe off the salt. You will note the areas that have salt feel very slick compared to the rest of the glove.

3. Carefully remove the glove then rinse it by pouring water inside the glove

4. Further rinse the glove by swishing it around in a sink full of water. You may see the water get cloudy as you rinse it.

5. Next place the glove on a towel and press the water out.

6. Next, hang the glove(s) to dry. I use a velcro strip, but you c an use a coat hanger. After they have dried for an hour or so, you can also CAREFULLY put on the glove to bring it to the shape of your hand. Then remove the glove and let it finish drying.

7. After drying, try it on. It should have tightened up a little and be noticeably cleaner. The areas that were stained before should be almost white again.

I hope that helps you all. It has saved me a lot of money in StaSof gloves over the last 20 years.

• 2801 points

this is a great tip.  I have to try this on some of my older gloves, although my guess is that the sooner after a day of "sweat" the better.  Mine may be to late to save.  

•  

I don't know Pony. So long as they haven't cracked yet, you can probably save them with a good washing. NO SOAP THOUGH - I forgot to mention that.

•  

Great tip but I don't know if staff will like it. :)

•  

Seems like a lot of work.  I think I will just buy new ones to play in and save the dirty ones for practice.  But that is just me.

•  

Nice detailed post on how to clean a glove Fred.

•  

Great narrative and visuals.... Training manuals and/or videos are in your future, Fred !  Have washed gloves before but going to  try out your techniques.... What is Maria's perspective on the washing?

• 5481 points

Does this washing process extend the life of the glove by much? I would think that when you've got a glove totally soaked with sweat, it would be useful to clean it, but will it merely take an unusable glove and make it useable or more? Love you tutorial and I will try it!

Most folks think water and leather don't mix - Simply not true. I used to take my new hockey skates and dunk them in water before lacing them up and skating a bit - Instant break in without killing my feet - The water make the leather malleable and it would fit to the form of my feet..Wonder if this would work with golf shoes? Anyone from FJ care to comment on the fastest way to take a new pair of ICONS or Dry Joys and make them form fitting golfing platforms?

•  

Fred, you know how I "wash" my gloves? When they get too dirty to be playable they go into the trash and a new one comes out of the package! Definately the fastest way to a clean glove!

•  

You got a point Rick. The way I sweat, I have to make 'em last as long as possible or my pro will retire early from glove sales.

•  

Thanks G3 - Maria asked me to post this in a forum so I guess she's cool with it.

•  

I get about 2.5 times the life out of them by washing.

•  

Fred - having the pleasure to sit with you at the final dinner at the FJAI, you told us about the way you dry your gloves.  It looks like you posted a photo of your drying trick.  Can you describe for the FJC what you told us about the velcro system you invented?

•  

Fred - having the pleasure to sit with you at the final dinner at the FJAI, you told us about the way you dry your gloves.  It looks like you posted a photo of your drying trick.  Can you describe for the FJC what you told us about the velcro system you invented?

•  

And to follow that up use a little leather conditioner on the glove to keep it soft and supple. And if you want to make the glove feel better with a stickier grip, put a light coat of Mink Oil on the palm and fingers and then wipe any excess off and let dry overnight.  Have done this with many gloves and found it to be very rewarding.