Pure Touch Limited vs. StaSof

Pure Touch Limited vs. StaSof

•  

So before I get going on this, let me first say that when I first got back into golf about 4 years ago, I spent that first year to year-and-a-half just trying to re-learn the game after taking about 12 years off.  As a result, I really didn't focus on "little things," and by this I was just trying to be able to get out and play (i.e. get the ball off the ground).  I didn't really see the value of spending that extra money on nicer clothing, shoes, socks, and even golf gloves.  As my game improved, I started to realize that these things DO matter.  That $50 off-the-rack pair of shoes is $50 for a reason.  Those 6-for-$15 gloves cost that for a reason.  So for the past 2 years as my game continued to improve (went from a 30+ handicap to just under a 12 right now) and I upgraded my golf clubs,  I also began to appreciate the "little things" more.  My recent ICON and MyJoys purchases speak to that.  I also have been upgrading to nicer socks (if you aren't wearing FJ socks, you're missing out!), clothing etc. over the past year or so.  As to golf gloves, I started out (about 4 years ago) by using whatever was the cheapest.  I quickly learned the error of my ways here between the blisters and lack of durability...I soon switched to Footjoy Weathersof and liked these gloves, but I did want something a little more durable.  I switched to the SofJoy because I liked the detachable ball marker and wanted to try something different.  I liked this glove but again, wanted something a little more durable still.  

So then about 2 years ago I switched to the StaSof and had been using them ever since.  Love that glove...the feel, the softness, the durability...everything about it was what I wanted in a golf glove and I realized it was worth it to pay a little more for a glove that gives you better feel AND durability.  I knew I had found my glove and had no reason to switch....then I made a mistake.  Just on a whim I picked up a couple of Pure Touch Limited gloves back in November.  I have only used the PTL since that time and all I can say is WOW!  I love that it's a very classy appearing glove (as is the StaSof), love the black emblem.  But more importantly, I believe it is a softer leather than the StaSof.  For me, it gives me a better feel...and again for me that translates into what feels like better control of the club head (again, this may just be mental, but hey golf is mostly mental anyways, right?).  It is a little more pricey than the StaSof, but again, I no longer mind paying a little more for the "little things."  I still love the StaSof glove (still have two left over from last season) but I placed an order today for more PTLs, which will be my "gamer" glove for the year.  The StaSof, while an incredible glove, is now my back up.  If you haven't tried the PTL, I highly encourage you to give them a try.  They may not work as well for you, they may not be as durable for you.  Or, you may have the same experience that I had.  Thank you FootJoy for giving us so many options in golf gloves (among other items), and especially for having such great options on the higher end!

•  

Very cool come-back story about taking the 12 years off and still having the determination to come back and play more.

I've been wondering what the fuss about the Pure Touch Limited was, and from this post, I am kind of motivated to pick up one and see what it is all about. Only thing though, did you notice that the softer leather got moist faster (if you played in any warm/humid climates)?

•  

I've played both and carry both in my bag. And I find that it is very hard to compare them against each other. While the PTL is lighter and provides a better feel, it doesn't hold up too long under repeated playing conditions. The SS holds its shape better and does hold up better. I now use the PTL in hotter weather (anything over 85 deg.)  and the SS in cooler weather. By doing this I have hit on a formula for my game that I find works well for me. Overall, I prefer the StaSof for overall performance.

Just my humble opinion.

•  

kab012345

Very cool come-back story about taking the 12 years off and still having the determination to come back and play more.

I've been wondering what the fuss about the Pure Touch Limited was, and from this post, I am kind of motivated to pick up one and see what it is all about. Only thing though, did you notice that the softer leather got moist faster (if you played in any warm/humid climates)?

I cannot completely attest to this one way or the other as of yet, as I just started with the PTL in November.  That being said, we have had plenty of warm and humid days down here in Mississippi since that time and the glove has held up well thus far.  The true test will be seeing how well it does in terms of durability and how fast it becomes "saturated" over the late spring/summer.  Like you, I also was wondering what all the fuss was about and just decided "What the heck, why not try it?".  I was happy with the StaSof (and would use it in a heartbeat if FJ discontinued the PTL because it is also an incredible glove) but I just prefer the feel of the PTL...seems softer and lighter to me.  As I said though, we'll see how it holds up compared to the StaSof in the big time heat this upcoming year.  I think it's certainly worth giving the PTL a try.

•  

eagle3

I've played both and carry both in my bag. And I find that it is very hard to compare them against each other. While the PTL is lighter and provides a better feel, it doesn't hold up too long under repeated playing conditions. The SS holds its shape better and does hold up better. I now use the PTL in hotter weather (anything over 85 deg.)  and the SS in cooler weather. By doing this I have hit on a formula for my game that I find works well for me. Overall, I prefer the StaSof for overall performance.

Just my humble opinion.

This will be the true test over the summer here in Mississippi....how well will the PTL hold up.  So far for my game, I've been pleased with the durability.  I agree about the StaSof though...it is a beast in terms of durability.  I'm happy that FJ has both of these options available to us...both incredible gloves.

•  
    I would say use the sta soft gloves for 1 reason they are cheaper
  •  

GT, I went through the same thing years ago. I used to wear Hogan cabretta gloves then discovered the StaSof 30 years ago. I've tried the PTL but the StaSof is what I always come back to - not too thin, yet not too thick, JUST RIGHT, for me. Trust what feels best and fits your budget.

•  

Hmm, ok, ok, maybe I'll take one down to Florida just to see.

•  

Wheelez3030

Anybody? Anybody?

•  

Wheelez3030

If you look hard enough you can find very reasonable prices on the Pure Touch Limited (I did).  And as I said, both the PTL and StaSof are great gloves, but I think that if you haven't tried out the PTL then it's worth it to atleast test drive one of them.  Just my opinion.

•  

You really can not go wrong with either and GT you are pretty much spot on with your assessment of each.  The PTL will feel softer and thinner then the StaSof.  The StaSof is more durable, more tacky, and may feel ever so slightly and I mean slightly thicker.  

Many people here at FJ gravitate towards the PTL but you can not get me out of the StaSof!

DG

•  

GT They should make a movie about your comeback.  It could be "Vance Bagger".

•  

NCBob

GT They should make a movie about your comeback.  It could be "Vance Bagger".

Ha!  If only...not much of a comeback really though.  Just realized what I had been missing out on for those years!

•  

golferdrmjr

Wheelez3030

Anybody? Anybody?

Duh?

•  

fredcloss

golferdrmjr

Wheelez3030

Anybody? Anybody?