Glove expanding

Glove expanding

•  

What should you do when your glove keeps expanding after every round? It barely fits anymore and the fingers wiggle. I typically just toss it, but I know most of you guys and gals are glove gurus so I'm hoping that I'll get some good advice.

•  

My best guess is that you are using a glove that is too big to begin with. Try going to the cadet size glove and see how that works. Depending on the glove, I vary choice between regular and cadet and don't have a lot of trouble. I also, once the glove loses its tackiness and begins to stretch, use it only for range work. I can get about 6 to 8 rounds out of one glove and then it is either thrown away from wear, ( holes or serious abrasion )  or put in the bag for range work.

•  

Great point Eagle, my gloves really only last for about 8 rounds untill I notice they loose their feel. the key to making a glove last is to use it as little as you can, always use old ratty gloves at the range untill they fall apart. Keeping the glove dry is key as well, take it of in between shots but dont take it off by pulling on the fingers take it off by the wrist.

•  

FP

Couple things.... The glove will stretch out, that's a fact. As Eagle says, after so many rounds they go to the "practice" status. A coiuple tips:

You must have several gloves to rotate, just like your shoes. Never wear the smae glove in consecutive rounds, because it will wear quicker. I have 8 gloves that I store in a Rubbermaid plastic sandwich keeper. OK, stop laughing.... It keeps the gloves dry and allows them to also dry naturally after a round. Plus I always know which one I've used, because it's no top. Go to the bottom for the next round/glove. If a glove is just in the pocket, it's a practice glove....

This way I can get several months out of the 8 gloves, a tad more than the 6-8 rounds eagle mentions.

•  

I  agree with Eagle, I bet the glove is not the right size to start with. When you try a new glove on it should be snug and the closure should fall a bit short when closed.

Personally I find that I wear out gloves faster than they stretch.

Try a few different styles of glove. I find that some just fit a bit differently.

When all else fails, consult your local PGA Pro for help. That is what they are there for!

•  

Hey, Tar Heel, I like the comment about the Rubbermaid sandwich keeper.  I keep two or three in the bag for use, and keep spares and new gloves in my golf locker in the garage.  I usually use a glove for four to six weeks before needing to replace it.  I also rotate gloves during a round here in the summer, to keep the glove as dry as possible during the round--at least two gloves, sometimes three.  Wear each for three holes, then swap.

•  

I'm with Gary, sounds like the gloves too big.

•  

I agree on the size replies.

I do have a few questions though. I have had only three gloves in my rotation over the last 8 months and all look good and still have tac. Generally, my grip is neutral and not a tight grip on the club.

How tight are you holding the club?  Also,  what gloves are you all using? Do you clean your grips after each round?  

I know EMKelley plays a lot more than I do in a year. So,  I am sure he goes through a lot of gloves in a season.

Just curious...

•  

I have a neutral grip as well and I do not hold it "with a death grip".  I do play a lot and that causes me to go through a lot of gloves.  During the summer, I sweat a lot during practice and that really takes its toll on gloves.

I would say on a range from 1 - 10, 10 being death grip and 1 being light enough to fall out my hands, I hold the club at about a 6 (opposed to a 4 when putting).

I use StaSof gloves.  PTL is just too hard to find and I don't like waiting on ordering gloves lol.

I don't clean my grips after each round, I do after a long practice session but other than that, I just clean the heads.

In a given season (approximately April - November), I will through 2 gloves a month or so (it may be important to note, I do not use the same gloves for practice and I do a round).  I rotate gloves for practice using old gloves that I used for playing rounds.  A glove unwearable for the course is still in great shape for practice where I am not as picky.

The thing about me is that I practice everyday and usually play 4 times a week.  That's a lot of swinging a golf club and a lot of contact on a golf glove.

•  

YOU DID NOT MENTION THE TYPE GLOVE YOU ARE USING.

IT CAN MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE. ALL CABRETTA DOES NOT WEAR NOE STRETCH THE SAME AS A COMPOSITE OR COMBINATION.

I HAVE A VERY SOFT GRIP DUE MAINLY TO THE BIG A, BUT ALSO BECAUSE I WAS TAUGHT TO GRIP IT VERY LIGHT. IF I WEAR A STASOF IT DOES NOT STRETCH AS MUCH AS A WEATHERSOF.

AS MOST OF THE OTHER FOLKS SAID SIZE IS ALSO A BIG FACTOR AND YOU SHOULD TRY DIFFERENT SIZES OF YOUR FAVORITE FJ GLOVE UNTIL YOU GET IT RIGHT.

YOU APPEAR TO BE A YOUNG PERSON SO REMEMBER YOUR STILL GROWING.

•  

You could also post a picture or two of the gloves. If you show the glove on your hand, showing the backside and show the palm of the gloves, we might be able to offer a few suggestionsabout your grip and the glove fit.

As it has been said, a picture is worth a thousand words.

• 1790 points

thanks for the great advice.

•  

I agree here with 19. A photo would be of great use in assessing the proper glove size. A lot can be told by how that glove fits your hand.

•  

Well sorry for not following through with a picture guys! I've settled into a cadet size now.  It works much better.

•  

Glad to hear you found something that works. Just remember, some of the gloves will fit a little differently, so just try them on before you purchase one. It should fit tight when you first put it on and the tab should close less than half way.