Forums

Thumb Durability?

•  

Dolfan
    hmmmm interesting, I wear my thumb out on all of my glove's.

I'm in the same boat as you.  They don't split, but they're always the first to go.

•  

Dolfan

I'm in the same boat as you.  They don't split, but they're always the first to go.

•  

Dolfan

• 1979 points

joshgiano
    Dolfanhmmmm interesting, I wear my thumb out on all of my glove's.

I wear a nice round hole in the thumb lol no splitting.

•  

StaSof is a great product and I use it a lot.  I usually get more than 5 rounds, but I do retire them to a practice glove after eight or so rounds. . . maybe more.

Also, in my experience, yes, the thumb and between the forefinger's joints (MP/IP) are the first part where the leather gives out.  But this example is after many hours of hitting balls, days and sometimes weeks of hitting balls, but never prematurely.  During that time when the leather gives out, the rest of the glove is pretty much used up.

In any case, WeatherSof is a more durable glove, form what I remember.  You might give that a try.  

•  

never enough, welcome to the FJC. As you can see you can always get answers here.

•  

A bit more info for you....

First, if you are wearing out the glove on the thumb pad, you should get your grip and grip pressure checked. The most common fault is holding on a bit too tight.

Going back and looking at my glove usage I can give you some definitive data on how long a glove will last for me. I have found that it does not matter how hot or cold it is, my glove wear is pretty much the same all year round.

I use primarily Pure touch Limited gloves. The last dozen that I got lasted for a total of 95 rounds, an average of 7.9 rounds per glove. On top of the golf, i generally hit between 40-60 balls before each round. On practice days i will hit as many as 100 balls before a round. I generally rotate 2 gloves, using them on alternate days. this lets the leather properly dry between uses.

I look at this as a lot of use from a glove, especially on that is as thin as the PTL. Mine gloves wear in the palm. This is due to how I hold the club, the butt end does not extend past the palm of my hand. I do get wear on the thumb pad, but if I am actually paying attention to my golf it really isn't that bad.

•  

another thing to consider is if you use cord grips that will also wear out your gloves faster

•  

Welcome, n e......You are now amongst the best !

• 1596 points

I get long wear out of my gloves, and I feel it is partly due to changing often during the round. Some rounds I switch after each hole, and secure the glove to the support bar of the golf cart to dry (if wet).. I usually play with no less than 4 pair. Thumb wearing out? Never had that problem.

•  

Paul G
    19holeA question or two for you;

How many rounds before this happens? Range before the rounds?

Can you post a picture of the glove?

If your glove is properly fitted, you should get 5 rounds out of it. If you hit an average bucket of range balls that also would count as a round.

Take a full practice swing ( or two) before each shot on the course, that is another round.

As you can see it all adds up quickly! I have never had a glove split at the seems, but I have worn them out on the thumbs. A lot of excess wear on a glove is a result of: grip pressure being very high, the glove fits too loose, or a less than perfect grip by the player.

A few nice words to FootJoy customer service might get you a replacement, but there are no gaurantees on that!

Rick has said 99% , you need to get fitted correctly, and have a pro look at your grip, if your hand is in the wrong position, your thumb  could be moving and making excess wear.

I have heard as well that if your glove does not fit right it will move around and cause early and excessive wear to it. Good luck

•  

Also consider the grips you are using. Rick is spot on with his responses but if you are using cord grips that will made a difference on the wear of the grip: increased friction. If your grips are old and worn then you will likely grip them a bit tighter as well. I wear the thumb out of my gloves and the edge of the palm nearest the wrist, just my rub points on the club. A glove will last me about 6 rounds depending how much I practice, but I do have cord grips so they tend to wear a bit faster. I wear the Spidr2 glove but will be making the full switch to the Gtxtreme once my Spidr2s run out.

•  

A couple of phots of used gloves....

The first is a PTL with 9 rounds and 10 range sessions.

This is another PTL showing where I wear them out, That spot is where the butt end of the grip rests in my hand. If I were to actually hold the club about 1/2" further down the grip I doubt there would be any wear at all.

•  

Absolutely agree with 19th on this one.  I also wear the PTL and I tend to wear just the left palm just below the end of the glove.  I attributed that to were the butt end of the club sits and not much more.  I tend to get 8-10 rounds out of each glove before they start to go into the gardening bucket.