Forums

How to wash your gloves

•  

pistolpete
    Does this washing process extend the life of the glove by much? I would think that when you've got a glove totally soaked with sweat, it would be useful to clean it, but will it merely take an unusable glove and make it useable or more? Love you tutorial and I will try it!

Most folks think water and leather don't mix - Simply not true. I used to take my new hockey skates and dunk them in water before lacing them up and skating a bit - Instant break in without killing my feet - The water make the leather malleable and it would fit to the form of my feet..Wonder if this would work with golf shoes? Anyone from FJ care to comment on the fastest way to take a new pair of ICONS or Dry Joys and make them form fitting golfing platforms?

pistolpete
    Does this washing process extend the life of the glove by much? I would think that when you've got a glove totally soaked with sweat, it would be useful to clean it, but will it merely take an unusable glove and make it useable or more? Love you tutorial and I will try it!

Most folks think water and leather don't mix - Simply not true. I used to take my new hockey skates and dunk them in water before lacing them up and skating a bit - Instant break in without killing my feet - The water make the leather malleable and it would fit to the form of my feet..Wonder if this would work with golf shoes? Anyone from FJ care to comment on the fastest way to take a new pair of ICONS or Dry Joys and make them form fitting golfing platforms?

•  

My son, who was in the military, used the method of water to form his feet to his new shoes and boots all the time and I tried it on a pair of FJ shoes. It does work.

• 3852 points

I must confess that in 50 years of playing the game, I've  never washed a glove.

•  

Fred - having the pleasure to sit with you at the final dinner at the FJAI, you told us about the way you dry your gloves.  It looks like you posted a photo of your drying trick.  Can you describe for the FJC what you told us about the velcro system you invented?

•  

It's just a strip of Velcro with a grommet and a small caribiner so i can clip it to the bag. I then hang 3 - 4 gloves on the strip and rotate gloves each hole so they can dry out a bit between uses. It also greatly extends the life of the gloves, similarly to how rotating your golf shoes extends their life.

•  

wow, read my mind.  I was going to email Maria with this same question.

Thanks!

•  

One note to add - when drying out your gloves, the dryer does not do a better job. I tried it and did not like the result. Perhaps there was some fabric softener residue, but the gloves seem to be glazed over.

•  

cleanfan
    wow, read my mind.  I was going to email Maria with this same question.

Thanks!

I thought we did that at the FJA Invitational

•  

Hey Fred,

Just wanted to let you know Maria read this and would like to thank you for posting! Obviously there is nothing like a new glove but this will definitely extend the life!

Best,

DG

• 416 points

This was good stuff!  Thanks eagle3 for the conditioner and mink oil tip!  

•  

Sorry but no way i'm washing a glove.  It's going in the trash and I'm grabbing a fresh one.  Gloves are one of the cheapest items in golf equipment, no reason to hang on to a glove past its life.

•  

I don't know Justin - $20 is a almost a case of beer. Seriously though, for us "sweathogs", gloves get real expensive.

• 5025 points

fredcloss
    I don't know Justin - $20 is a almost a case of beer. Seriously though, for us "sweathogs", gloves get real expensive.

It is a case of PBR AND change!! However, I stopped imbibing a long time ago so I'm with Justin  - when the glove is done, it is done bust out a new one..nothing like the fit of a new FJ StaySof

•  

fredcloss

Where can you get a case of GOOD beer for only $20?

•  

19hole
    fredclossI don't know Justin - $20 is a almost a case of beer. Seriously though, for us "sweathogs", gloves get real expensive.

Where can you get a case of GOOD beer for only $20?

It is probably a good thing Chimay is not $20 a case or I would be in rehab