Forums

Why do you wear a glove?

•  
    Wheelez3030

i wear a glove so i can get better feel on my clubs as well as it can help stop getting a blister on your hand

If you get blisters while playing golf you need to see a PGA Professional, there is something severly wrong with your grip. A proper grip and grip pressure will not cause listers!
  •  

19hole
    Wheelez3030

i wear a glove so i can get better feel on my clubs as well as it can help stop getting a blister on your hand

If you get blisters while playing golf you need to see a PGA Professional, there is something severly wrong with your grip. A proper grip and grip pressure will not cause listers!

the only time i get blisters is the first time i go to the range and hit a cupple of huge buckets of balls every year after not hitting balls over the winter months i dont thnink it will be because of my grip because my swing coach dosnt say anything about it

•  

Wearing a golf glove adds a little tackiness to the grip and makes me more aware of the club in my hands in relation to pressure. Also helps avoid the build up of calluses.

• 252 points

When I started golfing 10+ years ago I used to get the blisters and bad calluses on my hands so I started wearing one then. Now when I try to play without one it just feels extremely awkward.

• 2180 points

Great thread... 

As a person who rarely wears a gloves (besides when its downpouring rain). I've often wondered why so many people wear them. 

I personally do not get all of the "because my hands sweat". Being horizontally challenged and can get sweaty hands from txt'n, I still can't stand the feel of a glove. I carry towels with me to dry my hands and grips when needed and find that works better for me. Gloves for me are a lose of feel of the club, something I don't like. 

The only time I wear one is when it is DOWNPOURING out and towels are soaked. Even then I usually try to play club down 3/4 shots if I can as to not wear a glove. 

For some people its more of a mental thing than anything. One of my golfing buddies HAS to have it glove on while hitting driver. If he doesn't, it doesn't feel natural and you can see it in swing/ball flight/cuss words. 

Working with granite day in day out, I have quite a few calluses. On days when I play more than 18 holes. I usually use some golfers tape on a couple fingers so the calluses don't get sore by the end of the day. 

I do have to admit though, I bought a new FJ glove the other day cause it was on sale. Still in package in the bag :)

•  

I used to never wear a golf glove.  When I did, it was in wet or very humid conditions.  I was watching the NFL one day and it dawned on me - why do the NFL receivers wear gloves?  Why do the QB's wear gloves on their throwing hands?  It simply provides a better grip. 

During the golf swing, I do not want to worry about the club slipping.  The golf gloves gives me the confidence that it will not slip.

•  

REBEL

Great thread... 

As a person who rarely wears a gloves (besides when its downpouring rain). I've often wondered why so many people wear them. 

I personally do not get all of the "because my hands sweat". Being horizontally challenged and can get sweaty hands from txt'n, I still can't stand the feel of a glove. I carry towels with me to dry my hands and grips when needed and find that works better for me. Gloves for me are a lose of feel of the club, something I don't like. 

The only time I wear one is when it is DOWNPOURING out and towels are soaked. Even then I usually try to play club down 3/4 shots if I can as to not wear a glove. 

For some people its more of a mental thing than anything. One of my golfing buddies HAS to have it glove on while hitting driver. If he doesn't, it doesn't feel natural and you can see it in swing/ball flight/cuss words. 

Working with granite day in day out, I have quite a few calluses. On days when I play more than 18 holes. I usually use some golfers tape on a couple fingers so the calluses don't get sore by the end of the day. 

I do have to admit though, I bought a new FJ glove the other day cause it was on sale. Still in package in the bag :)

I have had a club slip out of my hands due to perspiration. I do not have that affection with my glove on.

-ICONs for ALL

•  

@Rebel - if you have calloused hands, a glove probably is not necessary. Mr. Hogan had VERY calloused paws (hitting 1,000 balls a day will do that). For us will hands that are softer and sweaty, a glove is almost a requirement.

•  

I have sweaty soft hands. so I wear a glove and it helps balance out my grip.

• 2822 points

Part out of need and part out of habit. I wear a glove during the summer when my hands are sweating and it just became a matter of habit to wear one the rest of the year. Of course winter gloves come out of storage Nov.-Feb.

• 244 points

No glove = blister city and the palm below my little finger will hurt like crazy from rubbing against the grip. With glove = happy hand for hours of practice and playing. I don't think there's anything wrong with my grip, it just makes a big difference for me.

• 185 points

I only use them with woods, long irons, and mid irons where I'm hitting for mostly the distance.  In closer, I'll shed the glove for better feel.

• 1458 points

Great question. I've always worn a glove because, like you, that's what golfers are supposed to do.  However, this summer I plaed some without a glove and was surprised that the club didn't slip.  I do wear a glove though because it provides more of a consistent feel.

•  

I've fluctuated over the years and have recently come back to wearing a glove. I like the additional "tacky" feeling I get -- even if my grips are getting a bit worn.  

But if you go back to Ben Hogan's Five Fundamentals book, he talks about where you should get callouses when using the proper grip. Seems like he would have been glove-less. Whereas Harvey Pennick said that if you get callouses, you were gripping to hard.

• 4586 points

Ooh good thread to resurrect (although im sure unintentionally!).  I wear one because there's a noticeable difference (especially in the summer) when I don't wear one.  Even with brand new grips I don't get the same feel