Forums

Why do you wear a glove?

• 534 points

I know this sounds sacrilegious posting this to "the glove" forum, but I really want to hear why you wear a golf glove? I used to wear a glove religiously because that was what golfers do. However, one day many years ago, my glove became soaking wet during a rain storm and I had to take it off because there was no longer any grip to it. Once I took it off, I never went back. My revelation was only supported by Freddie Couples who was always glove-less. If you wear one why? if you don't, be honest and tell us why not?

•  

I have always worn a glove on the the feeling that I have a better grip once my hands get sweaty. And in the case of rain, I have Rain Gloves in the bag along with several others if I have to change because of the weather. I have tried golfing without a glove and find that my grips get really dirty much faster and wear down quicker also.

Just my opinion.

•  

Growing up in the high humidity of Houston, you either sweat or you explode. So, I wear a glove so the club won't go flying after every swing.

•  
    I find on full shots the glove helps with my grip pressure. If I don't wear one, my grip pressure gets way too high. One short shots of say 25 yards or less and all shots around the green and putting I go gloveless. I prefer the extra feel on these shots.
  •  

Don't wear a glove in the winter, but in the summer I will for a little better grip.  Also never practice with one. Always have a couple in my locker ready to go. If I am wearing one I take it off to chip and putt.  A StaSof works just fine.

•  

Glove feels good on my hand when playing shots.  It adds to my grip as it holds onto the club a little more on its own and I don't develop callouses.  I play and practice more than a few times a week.  If I don't wear a glove, my hand would blister.

•  

I have found that the added grip lessens the grip pressure and in keeping the club from rotating under compression/impact.

-ICONs for ALL

•  

I wear a glove for the added grip, although I only wear it on my left hand (I'm a right-handed golfer).  I just don't feel as though I have as good of control of the club without a glove on for full swing shots...now for chipping and putting I take the glove off.  Weird, right?  I also sweat quite a bit so the glove helps on those hotter days as well.

• 3500 points

I used to never wear one, then once I got serious about the game and the calouous' added up, I invested in gloves and hadn't turned back. Im a pure feel player so it took a while for me to get used to. Now, I can't play without one!

They protect the hand as much as thin cabretta leather can. But, It's a must have now for me.

•  

Like Rick said, it helps with the grip and pressure.  Plus the humidity here and hot summers make it a needed item.

I do not use a glove around the green.

•  

i wear a glove so i can get better feel on my clubs as well as it can help stop getting a blister on your hand

•  

Good question - I guess I wear one to keep my hand from chapping up on me.  I've actually thought about using two gloves - like Tommy Gainey, but I don't want to be a copy-cat.  Like him I used to play baseball and I always used two gloves when I hit.  I actually really enjoy playing in colder weather so I can wear two gloves and people not stare at me like I'm a weirdo.

•  
    Dallin

Good question - I guess I wear one to keep my hand from chapping up on me.  I've actually thought about using two gloves - like Tommy Gainey, but I don't want to be a copy-cat.  Like him I used to play baseball and I always used two gloves when I hit.  I actually really enjoy playing in colder weather so I can wear two gloves and people not stare at me like I'm a weirdo.

I play baseball too and I use 2 gloves as well when I bat .... I don't think it is weird to use 2 gloves to golf eather
    • 2671 points

I don't think I could play without a glove it is very hot and humid here in FL and the glove gives me that much needed extra grip.

• 3627 points

It's a good question. I believe I started wearing one when I was a young player mostly because after hitting balls for an hour+ my left hand would look pretty beat up (blisters, etc.). I've tried playing without a glove since a couple times, but it always felt a little wierd. 

Because I'm curious now though I might try to play 9 holes tonight without a glove to see how it goes.