Forums

Tour players and gloves

•  

botis1028

When I am on the road for school or other3-4 day tournaments, I will bring atleast 3 new gloves with me. I can get away with a glove for 3-4 rounds in the winter along with a few range sessions, but in the summer it's almost a necessity to bring one for each round.

I get them by the dozen, I would say I go thru about 3-4 dozen a year...

Do you play in college? And do y'all get gloves from the school? That'd make things a lot easier !

• 2671 points

Usually give them to a friend from Tampa who is very frugal with glove purchases. His will fall off before he buys another one or until I give him mine. I don't think I could wear someone else's glove. 

• 2671 points

Usually give them to a friend from Tampa who is very frugal with glove purchases. His will fall off before he buys another one or until I give him mine. I don't think I could wear someone else's glove. Just doesn't sound good...

• 856 points

Give me 6 free gloves a week and I will use one every day, no questions ask :-) H
  •  

hrfdez
    Give me 6 free gloves a week and I will use one every day, no questions ask :-) H

Under those circumstances, I imagine many of us would.  As it is, I'll use 'em "til they die."

• 3539 points

Gloves typically last me 2-3 rounds...I do change out 2-3 times a round if it's raining. I always keep 4-5 gloves in my bag, just in case.

•  

If I were a pro, I would use a new glove and new socks every round, especially if I didn't have to pay for them. On the 18th hole, I would sign the glove and give it to a kid.

•  

If I could I would do the same, there is something to be said about the feel of  a new glove.

Normally, I wear mine until they start to wear down and then I use those on the Range.  No sense of beating up a new glove off a mat.  I might go through 2 gloves a season, if I get to play once a week.

•  

i stopped wearing a glove many years ago because, 1. i'm cheap, 2. i didn't like the tan line., and 3. i didn't feel like i gained anything from the glove.  now, all of that made it difficult because was a partner in our family owned golf store at the time.  hard to sell people something you don't think is needed.  

but i guess if someone gave me 6 a week and paid me to wear it, i would.

•  

tdogg21

i stopped wearing a glove many years ago because, 1. i'm cheap, 2. i didn't like the tan line., and 3. i didn't feel like i gained anything from the glove.  now, all of that made it difficult because was a partner in our family owned golf store at the time.  hard to sell people something you don't think is needed.  

I hear you about the tan line...I hate going to work with a pale left hand.  That's why I started taking off the glove when I putt.

•  

Dallin

tdogg21

I hear you about the tan line...I hate going to work with a pale left hand.  That's why I started taking off the glove when I putt.

I almost never leave my glove on between shots. It keeps your glove drier and keeps away the tan line.

•  

golferdrmjr

Dallin

tdogg21

I almost never leave my glove on between shots. It keeps your glove drier and keeps away the tan line.

Don, I do the same thing.  I take my glove off almost immediately after putting my club back in the bag after a shot, and into the back pocket it goes.  It definitely helps keep the glove drier (and thus extends glove life), and the tan lines aren't quite as bad either.  

•  
    GTJacket8

golferdrmjr

Dallin

tdogg21

Don, I do the same thing.  I take my glove off almost immediately after putting my club back in the bag after a shot, and into the back pocket it goes.  It definitely helps keep the glove drier (and thus extends glove life), and the tan lines aren't quite as bad either.  

I take mine off between each shot but it dosnt help me with the tan line though
  •  
    GTJacket8

Devin_Gmitter

There is just something about a new glove.  In college I developed a bit of a habit of wearing a new glove almost every round and many people think it is crazy as they prefer to "break" them in (which I never understood).  Different strokes for different folks!

That being said not all Tour players wear a new glove every round.  Jason Bohn told us we give him too many gloves and he has heaps of them stashed at his house.  Kris Blanks is similar and will never change his glove mid-round if it rips or tears after a couple days of use.  I believe Ben Curtis was similar in his glove use.

There are players who need a new one everyday but it is by no means all players. 

DG

Devin, since ya'll are giving Jason Bohn too many gloves, I'd be more than happy to "take one for the team" and accept some of the extras.  :)

I understand what "breaking a glove in is about"....I did that after 4-9 holes a new glove stretches out slightly to mold to my hand then it is perfect for at least 1-5 rounds...at that point I move it into my range glove rotation....IMHO
  •  
    Chris92009
    GTJacket8

Devin_Gmitter

There is just something about a new glove.  In college I developed a bit of a habit of wearing a new glove almost every round and many people think it is crazy as they prefer to "break" them in (which I never understood).  Different strokes for different folks!

That being said not all Tour players wear a new glove every round.  Jason Bohn told us we give him too many gloves and he has heaps of them stashed at his house.  Kris Blanks is similar and will never change his glove mid-round if it rips or tears after a couple days of use.  I believe Ben Curtis was similar in his glove use.

There are players who need a new one everyday but it is by no means all players. 

DG

Devin, since ya'll are giving Jason Bohn too many gloves, I'd be more than happy to "take one for the team" and accept some of the extras.  :)

I understand what "breaking a glove in is about"....I did that after 4-9 holes a new glove stretches out slightly to mold to my hand then it is perfect for at least 1-5 rounds...at that point I move it into my range glove rotation....IMHO
    That is why I use mine to practice before I play so it will fitt me better and it dosnt take the whole round to make it confertable