Forums

Tour players and gloves

•  
    Why do tour players use a new glove every day....I mean I know that they play and warm up and warm down after their round but I don't think they rip those gloves after one day.... I want to find out
  •  

Really? If you received six new gloves in your locker every week, wouldn't you use a new glove every day?  Footjoy wants their products to look their best at all times. A new glove on the player looks better on television, to the viewer.  They want to sell more gloves.  That's their job.

•  

If I could use a new glove everyday, I probably would too! But I am not sure, I am figuring it is just a sponsorship thing from the sponsor.

•  

They don't pay for them out of their own pockets (as far as I know), and they like the feel of a brand new golf glove (who doesn't?).  That'd be my guess as to why they go through gloves so frequently.  If I could afford to use a brand new glove every round or two, I might as well.  Plus, they give them to fans as souvenirs.

•  

There is just something about a new glove.  In college I developed a bit of a habit of wearing a new glove almost every round and many people think it is crazy as they prefer to "break" them in (which I never understood).  Different strokes for different folks!

That being said not all Tour players wear a new glove every round.  Jason Bohn told us we give him too many gloves and he has heaps of them stashed at his house.  Kris Blanks is similar and will never change his glove mid-round if it rips or tears after a couple days of use.  I believe Ben Curtis was similar in his glove use.

There are players who need a new one everyday but it is by no means all players. 

DG

•  

Devin_Gmitter

There is just something about a new glove.  In college I developed a bit of a habit of wearing a new glove almost every round and many people think it is crazy as they prefer to "break" them in (which I never understood).  Different strokes for different folks!

That being said not all Tour players wear a new glove every round.  Jason Bohn told us we give him too many gloves and he has heaps of them stashed at his house.  Kris Blanks is similar and will never change his glove mid-round if it rips or tears after a couple days of use.  I believe Ben Curtis was similar in his glove use.

There are players who need a new one everyday but it is by no means all players. 

DG

Devin, since ya'll are giving Jason Bohn too many gloves, I'd be more than happy to "take one for the team" and accept some of the extras.  :)

•  
    GTJacket8

Devin_Gmitter

DG

Devin, since ya'll are giving Jason Bohn too many gloves, I'd be more than happy to "take one for the team" and accept some of the extras.  :)

Me too I would love to get a couple of packs of gloves..... That will last me almost a year
  •  
    I would use a new one every round if I were not frugal. As it is I typically break out a new one every week!
  •  

Gave up wearing a glove many years ago.  You can use 4-6 of them in the humidity.  New glove every day?  How many balls do you use in a round??

•  

One per round, no way. I use it till almost get a hole.

• 2671 points

There is nothing like the feel of new glove to start you round. I use a new glove very fourth or fifth round wish it could be more.

•  

Zombi

There is nothing like the feel of new glove to start you round. I use a new glove very fourth or fifth round wish it could be more.

That's a pretty frequent glove change Zombi...what do you do with your "old" ones?  I will abuse a golf glove...and by that I mean I'll use it until there are holes or it has worn such that I feel it is compromising my grip on the club. 

•  

I can think of a lot worse situations than having too much gloves. I have a small stash only because I will use a glove until its shriveled up and torn up. Never hurts having one or 2 extra in the bag for very hot rounds or the occasional, "i shanked a 70yd wedge shot in the pond and need to exert my anger on the last thing to blame like my glove" situations...

• 811 points

I would guess a lot of the pros wear a new glove all the time to keep their feel the same.  I know that i notice a big difference in the feel of the club in my hand when changing from an older used glove to a new one.

• 130 points

When I am on the road for school or other3-4 day tournaments, I will bring atleast 3 new gloves with me. I can get away with a glove for 3-4 rounds in the winter along with a few range sessions, but in the summer it's almost a necessity to bring one for each round.

I get them by the dozen, I would say I go thru about 3-4 dozen a year...