Forums

Golf washing: a life extender

•  

I found some quite old gloves in my garage the other day and decided that they looked intact, but were a bit grubby and a loose fit. They found themselves in a washing machine and this has not only cleaned them but seems to have improved the fit. The leather has shrunk. Is this a recommended way of preserving glove life or have I just been lucky?

•  

Partly luck. I ahve washed several gloves, but let them dry naturally. I also put a light coat of mink oil on the entire glove. It helps to preserve the leather,but it alos improves that tacky feel.

•  

If I decide to wash my gloves, I use a mild liquid detergent, like a dish detergent, then roll them in a towel to remove the excess water, and then lay out to dry naturally.  It is important to do something once they are dry to preserve them, like a good leather conditioner or mink oil.

•  

Lucky!

Just get yourself a new StaSof!  Nothing like that new glove smell baby!

•  
    I have not thought of washing a glove so this is something I may need to try!
  •  

I am in the camp of - "Buy a new one".   

•  

eagle3

Partly luck. I ahve washed several gloves, but let them dry naturally. I also put a light coat of mink oil on the entire glove. It helps to preserve the leather,but it alos improves that tacky feel.

Thanks eagle, I am going in search of mink oil for looking after the new shoes. I shall make my test application on the washed gloves.

•  

Justinu3

Lucky!

Just get yourself a new StaSof!  Nothing like that new glove smell baby!

Yes I love the smell of new FJ glove in the morning

•  

Chris, give it a go with a glove you are happy to say goodbye to if it doesn't work. I think the consensus of opinion is that I have been lucky. A good massage with mink oil after drying seems to be recommended, the glove not you, your wife or girlfriend that is.

•  

Buy a new glove.... The only time a bit of a wash works is if there are some smudges on the leather. Most times I have tried it merely dries the leather and becomes a bit stiff...

•  

Tar Heel

Buy a new glove.... The only time a bit of a wash works is if there are some smudges on the leather. Most times I have tried it merely dries the leather and becomes a bit stiff...

I'm hearing you Tar Hell. I think that this is a sensible solution and I shall be following that advice this weekend. Picture of new glove to folllow.

•  

Fairway finder

Tar Heel

I'm hearing you Tar Hell. I think that this is a sensible solution and I shall be following that advice this weekend. Picture of new glove to folllow.

Sciflex in Red has been purchased and its lovely. Much better than an old washed glove. I feel a review coming on. 

•  

Gotta love peer pressure huh FF?  Now go buy a few more gloves so you have back ups!

• 3467 points

a red sciflex, i wasn't aware they existed. I like the sciflex as well. Mine all have blue fabric in them. I can honestly say i have never tried washing a glove before. 

•  

Justinu3

Gotta love peer pressure huh FF?  Now go buy a few more gloves so you have back ups!

You can't beat good advice, particularly when the products are good. I need back up gloves in purple and I know they do them , so i'm looking hard. By the way cograts on reaching ambassador: I noticed your lower logo changed.