Forums

short tale: 150 Sta-Sof gloves

• 2659 points

Back in the day I was living in Tokyo and took a hop flight over to Korea for a few days.  Found a shop selling FJ Sta-Sof gloves for a very reasonable price and I talked him way down for the rest he had in stock.  Don't know if they are real or not, but if I'm not mistaken the gloves are made over there?  They seem genuine enough to me.  Anyway, this was about 1991 and the leather on them is still perfect.  I've been using them ever since, and the only problem is the black color piping around the wrist has become sticky and gets the black paint (?) everywhere.  What I've taken to doing is, when I pull out a fresh glove, coat the black piping heavily with gold bond powder.  That seems to soak up the goo and after that they are perfect.  I think I only have about 10 or so left, so I'll be back in the new glove game before too long.  Not really sure why I posted this, just thought some of you might get a kick out of it.

Jeff

•  

Welcome to the community.

I can't speak for the authenticity of your gloves, but outside of the piping it seems as if you've made good use of the lot.  As anyone here will tell you, when you are ready the choices are unbelievable and your biggest issue is finding the one that best suits your needs.

Good luck and don't rush thru yours just yet.

• 2659 points

Thanks for the warm welcome Pablo.  It will still be awhile yet, it's taken me almost 20 years to go through 140 of them!  In all fairness though, I'm in Florida now and the heat and humidity tends to shorten the life of gloves a bit!

Jeff

•  

Jeff,

Welcome and great story! 140 gloves must have been hard to fit in the suitcase ont he way home! LOL.

•  

Jeff

Ah yes, the days of a "deal" in Korea, and not China....

Glad to hear you are making good use of them, and as Shaun says, packing them and then getting them through customs was probably a bit of fun. Though in 1991, international travel was much more hospitable and enjoyable.

I certainly say this purchase puts you squarely in the zealots camp here at FJ. Not sure our buddy Hokie... he of 60 plus pairs of FJ shoe fame, can top a one time purchase of 140 FJ gloves. I know I'm out, since the most I've gotten at 1 shot is 12, which isn't in your league.

Welcome to FJ. Hope you are enjoying it so far....

• 2659 points

Thanks for the reply TarHeel.  Actually, I was USAF back on those days and flying from base to base sort of made customs an afterthought.  60 Pairs of FJ shoes?  Wow, that blows my mind.  I think if I owned 10 pair of Icons I could wear them for at least 30 years, maybe longer.  By that time, I'll be well into the gold tees!  IIf anyone cares, I scored these gloves for like $1.75 each at the time.  It started at $6, but haggling to buy more and more, I finally got 150 of them for that.  All white except for a few black ones, and those are long gone.  That was a lot of money to a poor airman, but in one whack I negated ONE of the expensive things about this sport...  I still buy balls ten dozen at a time when I can find them on sale, out of state - no tax, and free shipping ;-)  Lasts me for a couple seasons give or take.

Jeff

•  

3Putt, Welcome to the community. Interesting that you found the gloves and still have some left. Stories like that are interesting and show us all a little bit of human nature and what this forum is all about.