Forums

Holes in the thumb?

• 1730 points

Anyone ever experience getting holes in the thumb area after a while?  Any advice or tips?

•  

Chris H.
    Anyone ever experience getting holes in the thumb area after a while?  Any advice or tips?

Lighter grip pressure will certainly help. How long are you playing these gloves before this occurs?

• 1730 points

I would say between 12 to 15 rounds before i start noticing the hole.  Grip pressure has always been a problem for me.  I try to hold it light before i swing back and it seems i really grip it on my downswing.  

•  

Chris

The only time I have developed a hole in a thumb, or any other place on the glove, is if the stitching came apart. If the hole is in the grip area, then Devin is correct that your grip is too tight and or you have used the glove too long.

Like shoes, gloves should be rotated and dry completely before a second use. I get a full season, at least 10 wearings, per glove before I need to replace. That's a minimum number.

•  

What brand/model do you use, Chris?

Welcome to FootJoy Community!

• 1730 points

Thank you Tar Heel for the tips!  I will definitely start doing that and try to lighten up on my grip..

• 1730 points

Thank you noeldaof!  I appreciate the welcome.    

I just bought a 3 pack of Footjoy Weathersoft.  I did use the Titleist players glove wish i loved but that one wore out real quickly.  But I did wear that Titleist glove constantly.   So now i'm switching between the 3 pack so we'll see what happens.  

Any other brand or model  you recommend?

• 2330 points

Yes I agree that switching gloves out reallly prolongs the life span.  Even when I get sweaty I will switch gloves and get a fresh one to let the first one dry out before putting it back in the bag.

•  

Are you using cord grips?  They have a tendency to tear up gloves.  Also I would bet your thump slips a little during your swing and that will tear up a glove.  And last is your glove a good  fit?  there was great thread a while back about glove fitting.

•  

Chris

Lots of good advice here, and NC Bob gave you one that I frankly forgot. Make sure to check out the FJ glove section and watch the video on glove fitting. It's critical to buying a glove that isn't too large, which is one of the biggest things amateurs do. That incorrect fit promotes poor wear as much as overuse.

Good luck with this. You are on your way rotating three gloves. And depending on how much you play, a second 3 pack wont hurt you.

• 1730 points

Agreed Tar Heel.  Very blessed in the responses I've gotten and will keep them all in mind.  I may get myself a 2nd 3 pack, can't hurt to have a few new gloves laying around...   And the gloves i buy are usually tight, not loose.  

NCBob, you are correct about my thumb slipping a little.  Went to golf school earlier this year and the teacher mentioned the same thing.  He did check my grip and seemed fine so the only thing he could think of was the thumb slipping...

Going to watch that video...

•  
    Hey Chris, how's that new grip coming along?
    Hope rverything is working out well and good for you.

Anyway, I just wanted to add that those GTxtremes are really nice and are durable... Have you tried that? Another one is the StaCool which I have not tried yet, but the Texas guys had some great reviews on it.

In any case, hope you're getting some rounds in.

Have a nice summer.