How Argyle came to be for the Tar Heels!

How Argyle came to be for the Tar Heels!

•  

FJ Fashionistas! This morning while reading a Sports Illustrated piece about the North Carolina men's basketball team, which is ranked number 1 BTW.... I found a story recounting how fashion ICON Alexander Julian was commissioned to design what is now the trademark argyle pattern into the Tar Heel uniforms.

http://www.homeaccentstoday.com/blog/Retail_Update/33382-MARCH_MADNESS_How_Alexander_Julian_left_his_permanent_mark_on_the_UNC_Tar_Heels_uniforms.php

Those who design clothing and logos and such are both creative and patient, since it takes so many iterations to "get it right." Clearly Alexander nailed it perfectly.

But perhaps my favorite thing in the piece is how he said, "To have Coach Deam Smith call you and ask for new uniforms for the Tar Heels was like having God ask for new halos for the archangels."

•  

If anyone didn't catch it, Randy is an enormous UNC fan.  Borderline stalker... 

haha 

•  

Stalker? Really Justin?

There are many fashionistas here who I thought would find it interesting to hear something about how Alexander Julian came to design the uniforms. There is also a nugget about how this famous designer came from Chapel Hill and his family habedashery, which is still there I might add.

Frankly, there is a bit of legacy in here, which is something FJ has going for it as well, right? And we can all learn a great deal from people whose passion develops both outstanding and iconic merchandise.

Here ends the lesson Justin....

•  

Just teasing you Randy.

It was an interesting read.  I've always been a fan of argyle and the UNC version is one of the nicest.  :-)

•  

Very interesting bit of history. Thanks for sharing Randy.

•  

Great article, thanks for posting, Randy.

•  

Great article, I had no idea he was from Chapel Hill.

•  

Yes, Alexander worked the habedashery while a young boy in Chapel Hill. It's where he learned the value of fabrics and how to weave color and texture. If you look up Alexander Julian you'll see that he is a true visionary and his color presence is extraordinary.

Yes Shaun, he grew up in Chapel Hill, and the rest is history!

•  

Randy, terrific post and blog (ref).  I've always wondered where UNC got that look  and now I know.

•  

Thanks for posting Randy, excellent article. I definatly learned something today. So close to college BBall!!!