Half Zip Pullovers

Half Zip Pullovers

• 474 points

So I got some of the Flat Back Rib vests and now have a question about the Half Zip Pullovers for the chillier conditions.

My question is similar to the one I asked about the vests.

What temperature do the pullovers still keep you warm (50F, 40F)? Is there a difference in the warmth of the Performance Half Zip Pullover and the Flat Back Rib Half Zip Pullover? How is their wind blocking capability? Do they wick away any sweat? Is the sizing the same as the vests?

How do these compare warmth-wise to the Lined Sweaters?

I really like the vests I got but now am looking for something for lower temperatures.

Thanks for everything guys, I do appreciate it.

•  

FJ James
    So I got some of the Flat Back Rib vests and now have a question about the Half Zip Pullovers for the chillier conditions.

My question is similar to the one I asked about the vests.

What temperature do the pullovers still keep you warm (50F, 40F)? Is there a difference in the warmth of the Performance Half Zip Pullover and the Flat Back Rib Half Zip Pullover? How is their wind blocking capability? Do they wick away any sweat? Is the sizing the same as the vests?

How do these compare warmth-wise to the Lined Sweaters?

I really like the vests I got but now am looking for something for lower temperatures.

Thanks for everything guys, I do appreciate it.

Not everyone perceives colder temperatures the same.  I often see golfers during the fall months in New England wearing shorts and others bundled up like it is about to snow.  At the course I frequent, these players are often in the same group.  It will be very difficult to quantify what you need based on temperature alone.

The flat back rib will have the same warmth characteristics as the Performance Half Zip.  In my experience the Performance Half Zip will be ever so slightly better at blocking wind, and I mean ever so slightly, negligible difference.  Both will also wick away sweat and the sizing is the same.

Now to the lined sweaters, these cannot be beat for cold weather play.  I played a lot of freezing cold golf in college and would of done far better at dealing with the blustery Western Pa conditions if I had these in the closet. I go to these when it is anywhere between 50 and 38 (The Cali guys will cringe when they see 38*).  The lined sweaters are superior to the other half zips at blocking wind.  On those 40 degree days I will likely wear a baselayer, golf shirt, lined sweater and usually be fine.

Hope this helps!

•  
    Played in low 50s in a lined sweater and was toasty the entire round! Hint, get cedar blocks or lavender sackets to keep moths away!
    • 696 points

Devin
    For the last couple years I only used the base layer and lined sweater thru mid December up here in Newburyport Mass.
    Just love this combo, warm and non restricted swing.
    Jerry Wood
    • 2214 points

I've used the Performance Lined Sweater for a number of sub-40 degree rounds.  Like Devin said, it's the best.  

Another option is the performance half-zip and the performance mock if it's cold.  Easy to shed a layer if the sun comes out and starts warming up.

•  

I just picked up two new Performance Lined sweaters at the course yesterday.  At $49 each it was a no brainer.  

They are the best product for those cold rounds because like said above you really only have to wear a base layer and polo shirt.  We are in a climate vortex here in Oklahoma.  Hot one day, cold the next.  So I am always prepared in case a "meeting" breaks out. ;)

TT

• 474 points

Guys,

This is very helpful, thank you very much.

I have one other question. I tend to walk and carry my clubs. How do the sweaters hold up typically to the abuse of the straps on the shoulders? I should have put it in the original post but that is why I was looking for a technical fabric (more durable?) rather than a wool which can pill up a bit and look unsightly.

Thanks for the help..

•  

FJ James

I ride, so I cant answer this with facts. Merino Wool is a fabric that can wear fairly well, but it is going to wear differently than a cotton for sure. I would say the cotton is more rugged than the wool based on all the stuff I have.

• 474 points

TarHeel,

Thank you. That has been my experience as well but I have never had a FJ wool sweater before. My FJ sweaters are so nice I hate to wear them out prematurely because of the bag straps.

How do you feel about the long sleeve pullovers? Sounds like they are pretty warm and I can always layer as well.

Thanks a lot.

• 2214 points

FJ James,

I've had a lined sweater as well as the merino sweater (the thinner v-neck that's been discontinued) and have never had a problem with pilling.  They look as good as the day I bought them well over a year ago.  

I do not walk, generally none of the course around me allow it except on weekdays so I can't speak to slinging bags over the shoulder impact on durability.  My hunch would be that you'd put a sheen on the wool over time from it wearing down in that area.  That said, the pullovers are probably the best bet for a walking round.  I have those as well and while not as warm as a lined sweater, if layered properly you'll be plenty warm.

• 474 points

kmcmellen,

Thank you for your post. That is very helpful. Thanks for the great advice.

•  

I have a couple lined sweaters that I wear in the winter.  They are great and keep you warm on those bitter days.  I would worry about my bag strap rubbing the shoulders, but I can't speak from experience.

I also have a few of the 1/4 zip pullovers and love them!  I wear them all the time.  They look just is good with shorts or jeans as they do on the golf course.  They aren't as warm, but they are perfect for those cool mornings.

•  

TNT009
    Played in low 50s in a lined sweater and was toasty the entire round! Hint, get cedar blocks or lavender sackets to keep moths away!

You need to spend a winter in the northeast to toughen you up a bit!  Low 50s and I'm in shorts debating if I need a pullover or not.

• 474 points

tdogg21,

They do look good. Do they wick away any sweat nicely?

Thanks for the help.

•  

FJ James
    tdogg21,

They do look good. Do they wick away any sweat nicely?

Thanks for the help.

Honestly, if it warms up enough for me to sweat through my shirt and to the pullover, I just take it off.  So I really can't "expertly" answer that.  I played a couple of weeks ago while wearing one.  Temps at tee off were in the high 40s and by the time we were finished, into the 60s.  It was plenty warm enough in the morning, and although I was getting warm towards the end, I was still cool enough I didn't "need" to take it off.