Proper Merchandising Sells

Proper Merchandising Sells

•  

Last night I happened into the Golfsmith store in Mission Viejo/Lake Forest California. It is one of their large Extreme locations with a Golf Tech set up, so it's one of their better outlets I'm sure.

I noticed immediately when I walked in that the Foot Joy apparel had been relocated directly in front as one starts their entry to the "racetrack" of the store. There was a full selection of shorts, shirts, socks, and pullovers. The rain gear was kept separate in the outerwear location, which I think is really smart.

As I was paying I started to talk to the store manager and complimented him on moving the FJ gear up front, He mentioned that their sales had really spiked when the move occurred (duh), and people mentioned how they were unaware FJ actually made apparel. Know them for the shoes and rain gear, but not regular shirts and shorts.

Moral of the story is this. Tell your clubs and the retailers you visit (as we always do) to make sure customers know about the great FJ apparel products. There is certainly a sales lift, and it's sometimes hard to find a brand buried in the sea of shirts inside a store. Proximity sells and builds awareness!

Carry on.....

•  

Yes it does! Some folks might think you just put the clothes on a rack and hope for the best, but it is so much more than that.

• 1776 points

Sounds like this store is set up similar to ours.

•  

The same principle applies in the liquor business with the wholesalers always fighting over the best shelf space

•  

Visibility in retail is an advantage over what's hidden in the byways.

Glad to hear GS did something good about FooJoy products.

• 4351 points

Retail is truly a science!  Well done on that store for sure!

•  
    There is a new Golfsmith "Extreme" store near my office in Plano, Texas (just north of Dallas). Since this store opened about 6 months ago or so, they have has the FJ clothing displayed prominently at the front of the store and in the front window. It is actually separate from a lot of the other clothing. Sounds like it may be in the standard layout for these stores and it's "bam" in your face cat the front of the store. Great product placement and advertising!
    • 676 points

Question for you Devin.  We have a Edwin Watts, Dick's and a Nevada Bob's.  The EW store sells some FJ apparel, I do not know about the NB and the Dick's only has outer wear.  All have shoes.  I am a touch and feel kinda guy I want to see it before I buy it.

How can FJ get more apparel to these retailers?

• 1836 points

Interesting.  There is a Golfsmith Extreme near my job.  Unlike your location, the FJ stuff is in the back of the men's section and the outerwear is still separate.  I need to talk to the store manager, maybe he'll do the same and I don't have to hunt so much. PGA Superstore does the same thing, FJ apparel in the back.  

It doesn't bother me, because it's the only section I go to, but promoting the brand is more important than just my happiness at finding new stuff.  

•  

The FJ reps' relationships with the store managers can have some influence as well.

•  

It also depends on their corporate merchandisers.......if this is the case they most likely are being sent floor plans and being told what and where to merchandise the brands and styles.......when their District Managers come in and their floors are not set right, well it causes issues, and it depends on how much flexibility the managers are given by their DMs for corporate stores......most corporate stores are setup pretty similar so if you visit one you should have an easier time finding what you are looking for in another location.......mom and pop stores and pro shops can do as they please and I try to sway my local pro shop and have proved to him that FJ sells through display.......

•  

I have had so many comments on my polos this season, many of the people say the same thing "FJ makes clothes?" I know we are biased but they make a great product and it's easy to talk about people with.

•  

bholley
    The same principle applies in the liquor business with the wholesalers always fighting over the best shelf space

How did I know you would go there!?

•  

Now i know why Bones Farm and Night Train is so cheap!

•  

Don't forget Mad Dog 20 20