Master's Styles in the early 70's

Master's Styles in the early 70's

•  

BELL BOTTOMS!

Well at least you could take off your pants and keep your shoes on.

photo stolen Golf Digest

•  

Have to give all of them a ton of credit wearing all of those clothes with cotton and wool.  It must have gotten very hot and sweaty coming down 18 on day 4.  Thank god for FJ's apparel line, otherwise I don't think I would play.

• 1362 points

Wow, great image. Shows that the white belt has stood the test of time!!

•  

Wow, I remember those days...I used to wear some cool pants like those albeit my Sansabelt Pants from the 80's were probably the most interesting...no belt, flat front and polyester to the core!

•  

OH, and the Amana Hat!

•  

Bruce, it was lovely of you to pull these snaps from your personal archives from "back in the day."  I remember them well myself!

• 1698 points

I lived it myself.

•  

BostonBuzza
    Have to give all of them a ton of credit wearing all of those clothes with cotton and wool.  It must have gotten very hot and sweaty coming down 18 on day 4.  Thank god for FJ's apparel line, otherwise I don't think I would play.

Boston that was before global warming.  Much cooler then.

•  

also notice the 1.5 inch belt and the color matching golf glove

• 664 points

It is funny how things that were once thought to be out of style have come back.  Bell bottom jeans are back, and I bet if you showed to play in this style today it would fit right in, just have a better quality of material.  I could not pull the hair style off though, since most of mine is gone.

•  

Is that hair or a helmet?  Gotta love the 70's style and this shows how fashion is cyclical.  They almost look like they were coordinated for the round.

•  

bholley

BELL BOTTOMS!

Well at least you could take off your pants and keep your shoes on.

photo stolen Golf Digest

Did you guys know who the guy is on the left playing with Tom Watson? I had to look it up, I wasn't into golf back then. But I did have some flared Angel Flights back in the day.

•  

I thought it was Lanny Wadkins.

•  

golfchick

I thought it was Lanny Wadkins.

At first glance I thought it was Nick Price. Then I saw how young Tom Watson was and realized that it wasn't Nick. Sue did some Goggling and found out it was Rik Massengale. Haven't heard that name in a long time. 1977 was his best year I believe. He pretty much disappeared after 1980. Thanks Bruce.

•  

I'm sure it is the camera angle, but he looks like a giant next to Watson in the picture.