Pleats

Pleats

• 697 points

Pleats were the rage a few years ago. With the advent of the more casual look, flat front is now in vogue. I wear a lot of khakis/Dockers to work. Hard to find pleated anymore. Fashions come and go.

•  

Khaki is a color even though the marketing monkeys at Levi Strauss would have you believe otherwise

•  

I agree pleats are now "out"...just look at the top designers right now...all flat front.  I think golf is becoming less about the pant front but rather the pant bottom such as cuffs, V cuts, etc...

•  

bholley
    Khaki is a color even though the marketing monkeys at Levi Strauss would have you believe otherwise

Levis Strauss makes Khakis as well as denims.....was a District Manager with them for almost ten years.....great line of clothing and the quality second to none......you promote your best sellers....those so called "marketing monkeys" do a good job and have done it well for a long time.......I was in their retail division and had sixteen store which ranged from Tulsa, OK to Harrisburg, PA and was based out of Memphis, TN.....a great company to have worked for......they make a lot of other products other than denim jeans...jeans are just the core of the operation.....

• 4180 points

Coming into this thread late.  But pleats are definitely a no no for me.  Flat front all the way.  I do have one pair of pleated golf pants, but they rarely get worn (I just think they dont do anything for me).

•  

Chuck Khaki is a color

•  

ChuckZ

bholley

Levis Strauss makes Khakis as well as denims.....was a District Manager with them for almost ten years.....great line of clothing and the quality second to none......you promote your best sellers....those so called "marketing monkeys" do a good job and have done it well for a long time.......I was in their retail division and had sixteen store which ranged from Tulsa, OK to Harrisburg, PA and was based out of Memphis, TN.....a great company to have worked for......they make a lot of other products other than denim jeans...jeans are just the core of the operation.....

I am happy you were a district manager with ten years of experience. But my wife who has over 40 years of experience in garment designY ) ***even has a couple of patents) fabric manufacturing and sourcing says it is a color not a fabric. The color khaki was started in India in the 1800's. Somehow somewhere people got snookered into looking at it is a fabric. I believe Levi's uses some sort of brushed twill (note it is called twill) for what they erroneously call khaki slacks. I lay the blame for the improper usage of khaki solely on the marketing monkeys department at Levi.

But I could be wrong it might be somebody else's monkeys er department.

•  

Most of my older pants have pleats, but my newer pants do not. I don't really care, but I've always felt pleats gave a more "tailored" appearance.

•  

fredcloss
    Most of my older pants have pleats, but my newer pants do not. I don't really care, but I've always felt pleats gave a more "tailored" appearance.

of window curtains on legs...

•  

As a matter of fact, pleats at the waistline make you look like you weigh more. That should scare everybody off.

•  

bholley
    ChuckZ

bholleyKhaki is a color even though the marketing monkeys at Levi Strauss would have you believe otherwise

I am happy you were a district manager with ten years of experience. But my wife who has over 40 years of experience in garment designY ) ***even has a couple of patents) fabric manufacturing and sourcing says it is a color not a fabric. The color khaki was started in India in the 1800's. Somehow somewhere people got snookered into looking at it is a fabric. I believe Levi's uses some sort of brushed twill (note it is called twill) for what they erroneously call khaki slacks. I lay the blame for the improper usage of khaki solely on the marketing monkeys department at Levi.

But I could be wrong it might be somebody else's monkeys er department.

Understand that Khaki is a color (light tan) and agree that many company's have misused the the term over a number of years.  ....just like the word Levi is a commonly accepted term for a pair of jeans....even though there are a number of other brands on the market......Ralph Lauren makes a cotton twill slack that is very poplar and is referred to a Khaki pant........it is amazing how marketing changes things over the years and changes peoples concepts of what is......Levi is not the only manufacturer I worked with.  Levi bought a bit of our fabrics from outsources  and in some cases had certain items sewn in some plants in Miss, Tenn and SC......even started in Puerto Rico in 1975.....to name a few...it was interesting to watch the fabrics being woven and quality control they maintained through the process......the other companies I worked with, our products were manufactured in China.....our designers went to Europe did the sketches, bought the fabrics, sent them to China, they manufactured them, and then to our warehouse, then to our floors in major malls........

• 4814 points

golfchick
    As a matter of fact, pleats at the waistline make you look like you weigh more. That should scare everybody off.

Pleats don't make people look fat. Skinny people don't look fatter with pleated pants and plain front pants don't make you look  slimmer if your BMI is out of whack.

•  

Being a big person, 6'3" 245lbs, my sister-in-law talked to into plain front slacks a few years ago, ensuring me they were more flattering......after looking in the mirror......she's right.....if you want the truth, ask a woman.......

•  

MarkWDallasTx
    golfchickAs a matter of fact, pleats at the waistline make you look like you weigh more. That should scare everybody off.

Pleats don't make people look fat. Skinny people don't look fatter with pleated pants and plain front pants don't make you look  slimmer if your BMI is out of whack.

Then we agree to disagree. I do think pleats make skinny people look like they have more bulk and that plain front pants are slimming no matter who wears them.

• 2485 points

well here is what Webster Merriam says about Khaki --- Full Definition of KHAKI

a :  a khaki-colored cloth made usually of cotton or wool and used especially for military uniforms

b :  a garment of this cloth; especially :  a military uniform —usually used in plural

:  a light yellowish brown

— khaki adjective

See khaki defined for English-language learners »

for more here is a couple links ---

www.merriam-webster.com/.../khaki

dictionary.reference.com/.../khaki

Oh and Pleats will return in a few years - some other companies still sell pleated pants for golf. Pleats do not make one look trimmer but on a larger individual they may feel more comfortable.  Flat front pants look slimming on many golfers (as well as others) who are athletic and trim anyway.  Dufner does not look slimmer because he wears flat fronts.   IMHO.