Forums

Rain or Shine

• 376 points

If I have my rain gear then I am finishing...end of story! I have palyed in some pretty miserable conditions but it is golf! My favorite is being at the range when it starts raining and people run for cover or cars. Throw on my rain gear and continue to hit. It can be pretty relaxing.

• 130 points

Totally agree - being prepared for the changing weather conditions makes all the difference.  When we travel on vacation and our opportunity to play a particular course is limited, we are less likely to give up.  But since we now live in Maui, we have become "fair weather golfers" and if it gets too bad, we know we'll have another opportunity so we more often opt out of the inclement weather.  Since our rain is rarely cold, though, we need raingear that is very lightweight.  Also, since I tend to wear a lot of golf skirts, a wrap-around waterproof skirt would be nice with matching jacket or else a rain "coat" that is just above the knee which can be cinched at the waist would be good.

•  

Gotta finish out... No lightning means no excuses, right? Played Heron Bay a few weeks ago in a down pour complete with 3 lightning horns stopping play... course was a bit soupy by the end, but it was worth every minute. Made me play every shot in my bag.

•  

Well.. if I am in the middle of a practice session, I will usually go for cover, but when I am on course, I just throw on the rain grear and get after it.  Lightning isn't something I mess with but anything else, I will be on course finishing what I started.

•  

EMKelly0106

Well.. if I am in the middle of a practice session, I will usually go for cover, but when I am on course, I just throw on the rain grear and get after it.  Lightning isn't something I mess with but anything else, I will be on course finishing what I started.

Agree with that.  No lightning...finish the round.

•  

During a tournament, put on the rain gear and finish. A casual round with friends, the majority usually rules in that case. On the practice tee, just take a break and see what happens.

Lightening-----ALWAYS, ALWAYS see shelter ASAP!!!

•  

+1 on lightning.  Never test your luck with that.  One thing to finish in the rain, another to be stupid in lightning.

•  

Second ,or is that third, on that one. I had someone try to tell me that with his graphite shaft he would be ok. I found him a video of a test that was done on a graphite shaft. A van der graff generator, about 500,000 volts, was used to simulate the lightening strike. The shaft exploded. An actual strike in in the million + volt range. Graphite is like a capacitor, it stores the energy then releases it (the explosion) rapidly.

Pretty dramatic. If I can find the video again, I will post the link.

Be SAFE.....

• 4775 points

I a, also playing in the rain.  As long as you have the proper equipment then its really not an issue.

•  

My last season of high school this year we played in rain all the time and hail one time.  As long its not down pouring or storming I will finish the round no problem.

•  

caddy13

My last season of high school this year we played in rain all the time and hail one time.  As long its not down pouring or storming I will finish the round no problem.

Can't say I would play in hail... maybe wait it out in the cart but that's a little hardcore for me.  That stuff hurts if it's big enough... could do some real damage. 

•  

As long as there is no lightening I'm finishing...how can you let some water stop you from finishing a round of golf???

If you're prepared and have the proper gear for rain, it isn't really an issue when playing.

Sure, rain may be annoying but thats what makes this game fun and interesting...

•  

You make a tee time, then you play. How do you let a little water scare you off? If the horn sounds, you stop, but otherwise, you play on!

•  

If I'm playing and it starts to rain, as long as it's not a torrential downpour or lightning, I will continue. I work at a golf course and see people starting their round in the rain. I would never do that, there is always another day.

•  

+1 on the lightning comments, but I don't mind the rain a bit.