Forums

Travel question

• 4812 points

If your Hybrids, Woods, and Driver  had removable heads; would you remove the head and store it in your carry on or checked luggage when you fly?

•  

No.  I might remove them and put them in the bag.

•  

I figure that I would probably have a better chance to damage the head myself if it was detached and in my carryon.  I use the club glove last bag with a stiff arm to protect my clubs and have never had any problems.  I am traveling with my clubs in the AM so hopefully I didn't just jinx myself!

• 1686 points

I would strongly consider it as an option.

•  

Hi Mark.

You probably meant to post this question in the Courses & Travel discussions, right?

Anyway, to answer your question about it, I probably won't remove the heads from it's shaft if I traveled with my clubs.  I'm not seeing any advantages/benefits.  Maybe you or others know something we could learn about the idea.

Thanks.

•  

Think I would put them in my checked luggage.  I have Titleist clubs and can remove the heads rather easily.  Why take them off?  

• 641 points

Never thought about doing that but that seems like a good idea. Avoids the fear of snapped shafts.

•  
    I've thought about doing this, but with my Club Glove I don't have any issues..
  •  

Putting a TI head in your carry on could upset the X-ray machine.  TNT is on the money.

• 4180 points

I think I'd probably not.  Only because then I have something else to "lose".  What if the golf bag makes it but the luggage itself doesn't?

I also think when packed appropriately you're less likely have to damage done versus the abuse your normal luggage takes.

•  

I think they mine would stay together when shipping my clubs.....my hard case has been all over the world safely and is padded nicely inside to protect my clubs.......I see no real need to separate them......

•  

I have a Club Glove travel bag and use a Stiff Arm. Never had an issue with that combination.

• 4922 points

I use the Stiff Arm. I use a large rubber band around the shafts to make sure the clubs stay put under the "umbrella" and then I pack some towels/clothes around it. After one snapped shaft a few years ago, this process hasn't failed me.

• 859 points

Club glove and stiff arm here.  Never removed a head for travel.  A buddy removes the head of his putter and carries it with him as to not tempt an airport employee.  Last time we played at Todd's event in CA, he used a cigar lighter to remove the head :)

• 1393 points

Fixer
    Club glove and stiff arm here.  Never removed a head for travel.  A buddy removes the head of his putter and carries it with him as to not tempt an airport employee.  Last time we played at Todd's event in CA, he used a cigar lighter to remove the head :)

a cigar lighter? really? i gotta hear more on that one fixer.  i use the club glove last stand bag and a stiff arm too, but what a great idea. it would significantly reduce the chance of damage. if you left the heads in the head covers they wouldn't get lost