Forums

Performance shorts vs Chambray Shorts

•  

What are the differences between the Performance shorts and Chambray shorts?  I know the colors aren't the same across the board, but for instance, khaki is available in both.  I need a new pair of khaki shorts, so what are the advantages of one over the other?

•  

I prefer the performance shorts due to the fact that they seem to be less care intensive.  I wash them both the same way and hang dry them.  The Chambray are very comfortable but seem to wrinkle more than the performance shorts.

You will not be dissapointed with your choice either way.

TT

•  

Just in terms of fabric, Performance will give you more stretch because of the performance fabrics. Chambray is a light, woven fabric that's usually rich in cotton content. So, as Tim says, the Performance will be easier to care for and offer more stretch; Chambray is a more traditional look and feel. See: Devin/preppy and Chris G/Back Bay

•  

I really enjoy my performance shorts and prefer the Polyster/Spandex fabric.  I am not a big fan of Nylon shorts, which the chambray shorts are made of.  

•  

Thanks guys.  These days I could probably use a little extra "stretch" from the performance shorts.  Are the Chambray shorts less breathable?

•  

tdogg21
    What are the differences between the Performance shorts and Chambray shorts?  I know the colors aren't the same across the board, but for instance, khaki is available in both.  I need a new pair of khaki shorts, so what are the advantages of one over the other?

I personally prefer the Chambray, they are cut the same but some have reported the chambray fitting a bit more snug, enough so to bump up a size.  The Chambray also does not stretch like the performance short (could be why it feels tighter).

I do not hang dry so I can not speak to the chambray wrinkling.  A tumble dry on low heat does the trick for mine!

•  

tdogg21
    Thanks guys.  These days I could probably use a little extra "stretch" from the performance shorts.  Are the Chambray shorts less breathable?

They material will feel lighter with similar breathability.

•  

Cracks me up to see guys discussing fabrics for clothes. Chris, have you ever seen anything like it?

I have multiple pairs of both kinds of shorts. The performance shorts are totally bulletproof in that you wash them, dry them, and BOOM... ready to go. Chambray is first off, a much more soft fabric to the hand. Very nice fabric and a more luxury feel. Washing them requires a bit more care, since they will wrinkle if not removed PROMPTLY. I usually air dry them to avoid the wrinkles.

From a fit standpoint, they both fit me the same without question. So pick away for fun colors of chambray or go with the solid traditional performance colors. You will look like a player!

• 5483 points

I prefer the performance shorts. The chambray wrinkle a little more.

• 4480 points

It seems to happen here all of the time.  Guys discussing fabrics, matching clothing, etc.  And publicly too!  Usually that stuff is reserved for the back corner of the man cave in hushed tones.

•  

etakmit
    It seems to happen here all of the time.  Guys discussing fabrics, matching clothing, etc.  And publicly too!  Usually that stuff is reserved for the back corner of the man cave in hushed tones.

Welcome to the golf world of 2014.....

• 5318 points

I'm a fan of the performance shorts. The chambray material is lighter and a bit softer but as others have stated, they can get a bit wrinkled if you are not prompt in removing from the wash.

•  

etakmit

I love it!  You have to look good to play good, and I think FootJoy has us covered (literally) from that perspective!

•  

Love the performance shorts.  Haven't had good luck with the Chambray.  Like the more casual looking material BUT I've got a few issues:

- Material doesn't wash/dry well (doesn't matter if it's air or low setting), really clingy.

- Sizing is all kinds of wonky.  (I wear 38 in Performance pants/shorts but 38's are too snug and 40's are HUGE)

Those two things have kept me away from the Chambray.  Too bad since there are some nice color options.