Forums

Need a new FJ Rainsuit or Pants

•  

I am in the market for a new FJ Rainsuit or at least a new pair of pants.  I prefer loose fitting and non-restrictive feel...any thoughts on which of the FJ line would be best? Just curious...! Thanks

• 1751 points

I have the DryJoy Tour pants, which are awesome.  I got them on sale when the XPs came out.  I tried the XPs on, I can't really tell much of a difference with respect to how they look or feel.  If you can still find a pair on sale somewhere I highly recommend them.  I've been caught in a few downpours with them and my FJ jacket on.  Nothing got through.

To answer your question about the fit, they fit more on the loose side since they were designed to be able to fit over another pair of pants if you find yourself caught when it starts raining during the middle of a round.  They're great in the cold too, I've worn them during the last couple of cold snaps with another pair of pants on underneath.  The only downside is if you need to go to the bathroom and are sporting two pairs of pants and in a rush, so to speak...

• 1652 points

I have both the older Tour and the newer XP rain suits and I like the XP a whole lot more.  Maybe due to new and has more repellency, but it fits just how I like it.  I did have to have mine altered and taken up a small bit, but they still fit and function as promised.  Can't go wrong with either selection.  Good luck, you will enjoy them.

•  

How much do you play in the rain Chris?

How bad does the weather need to be before you quit playing?

Not to be a wise guy, but the FJ Lighter Weight rain pants are pretty solid for most golfers and are a cost effective way to go. Not sure you need to invest all in on a pair of the FJ Tour pants....

Out here, no one goes out if it even thinks about raining. I get grief because I have an umbrella on my bag! They tell me I will never need it....

•  

Along the rain pants questioning, a question about experience on fit...

I was looking for a pair of the Tour XP pants.  I generally wear a 35 inch waist from most manufacturers and the FJ 34 inch waist pants do fit me when I wear FJ pants.  I was thinking that I would fall between the Medium (32-34) and the Large (36-38) in the Tour XP pants.  I could only find a large pair locally to try on and the fit was a little large.  However, I did not want to buy a medium from an online retailer and then have the fit too tight.

My thoughts go both directions.  If I wear the pants over another pair of pants, the large may be a better option.  My concern trying them on is they are generally more loose-fitting where I prefer a more tailored fit.  If I go with the medium, they would probably be ok (I tried a pair of the HydroLite pants on in medium and they fit, but were a bit more snug) but it would be a little tighter outing them on in the middle of a round over another pair of pants if weather came up.  

I am obviously trying to find somebody locally that has these in a medium to try on but have had no luck so far.  The HydroLite are probably a good proxy, but they are different constructions (the Tour XP has a fly and the HydroLite does not) so getting them on and off is a little different.

Any experience on how these fit / sizing from anybody who has a pair?

Thanks!

•  

I'm still exceptionally happy with my DryJoys Performance light rain pants.  I wore them at the FJAI at RICC and kept dry.  I use them frequently here when we get light rain--really, any rain--during a round.  I don't like sitting in a wet cart seat.  I also use mine in cool weather, when I feel like I need just a bit more warmth/rind protection on my legs, whether I'm wearing slacks or shorts.  I think they've been replaced by the Hydrolites, so that is probably what you'll find now.  You're tall, Chris, so you won't have to worry about having the length taken up, and the overall fit is loose enough to be comfortable but not so loose to be baggy.

•  

It seems, in Ohio and the midwest I get caught in a lot of rain during April, May and June each year.  The concept of a pant is important on those days since my regular pants get very wet and it is miserable to play in.  I use zero restriction right now, and have for years, however I am looking to make the bridge over to FJ pants.  I think it is the only component in my entire wardrobe that is not FJ so I thought I would investigate to get everyone's input.  It sounds like the XP pant will be the ticket....

As far as bad weather to quit playing,  in tournament golf you just keep playing until lightening strikes or the horn is sounded...sounds silly but maybe like yourself you just have to play in whatever conditions the gods give us! LOL

• 1391 points

Hopefully there is a breathable pant option out there as that is the problem with my Under Armor pair.  I know its a give and take, if you want to stay dry then you don't want much to get through the fabric so there leads to the issue with zero chance for the pants to breathe.

•  

I have the DJ XP pants (the new model) they are incredible.  Just the right weight and fit perfect over regular pants.

Highly recommend them.

• 4897 points

Tar Heel
    How much do you play in the rain Chris?

How bad does the weather need to be before you quit playing?

Not to be a wise guy, but the FJ Lighter Weight rain pants are pretty solid for most golfers and are a cost effective way to go. Not sure you need to invest all in on a pair of the FJ Tour pants....

Out here, no one goes out if it even thinks about raining. I get grief because I have an umbrella on my bag! They tell me I will never need it....

I have the DryJoy Tours. If it is raining that hard I go in.

I wear them in lieu of pants on cool/cold days if need be I wear a pair of thermals under them. I am very happy with them. If offered a pair of either  for free I would go with the light weight model. The XP series looks great. I would buy a XP top.

• 2495 points

I have the same issue as to sizing to wear over pants or shorts - i.e.: added fabric around waist.  I'd order a 34-36 if there was such a size.  Good question Mike.  Hope someone can answer this.  

•  

One of the big differences between the Tour Collection and the XP is we removed the interior liner on jackets and pants.  This makes them lighter and ultimately less constricting to swing in.  

There is also the HydroLite, which as it's name denotes is lighter than the XP.  This is very popular in the southern parts of the country.  In Ohio, XP or the Premier (includes removable liners, one is even heated) are probably better options.  I know those cold, wet early and late season rounds where proper outerwear is a must.  Wish I had all these options at my disposal in college!

Every outerwear piece we make is designed to make a golf swing in, if you have the proper size than movement will not be of any concern.

As for sizing in the pants, I'm measured at a 35 and wear the large rain pants.  I had them hemmed to fit me a bit better in the length, all torso - short legs.  In the jackets I go with a medium, the size I wear in the quarter zips or sweaters.  

•  

My Premiere rainpants are awesome.  I use them on the cold mornings to keep the chill off and can zip off the lower legs if needed.  The length is perfect for me.

TT

•  

I have both the Dry Joy Tour pants and older style Premiere pants. I use the Tour pants a lot and really like them. I will even wear them on chilly mornings when I know it'll warm up. Then I can take the pants off and have my shorts on under.  For me, the Premieres are a little too heavy and too warm. I can't speak to the new version, but I would be very weary of the Premieres in June.

•  

The pants are about 10 inches too long for me, T-Rex problems.