Forums

Apparel Care Question

• 1739 points

For items such as the performance golf pants, long sleeve polos, and mocks before I wear them, I spray them with Static Guard to prevent static cling.  

Am I the only one that does this?  I never seen anything mentioned about it on the forum.  If you don't use Static Guard or something along those lines, what do you do to prevent it?  

I'm not complaining, I'm curious as to what you guys and gals may do or even face this.

•  

I just use the smelly fabric thingys you put in dryer.. No issues ever!

• 1739 points

"Smelly fabric thingys" being a technical term, of course.  

And that may be where my issue lies, I line dry all my FJ stuff.  At 6'5", old habits are had to break and I've had too many items experience shrinkage.  "I was in the pool!  I WAS IN THE POOL!" -- George Constanza.

• 4846 points

I use a liquid fabric softner that takes care of static.

•  

TNT009
    I just use the smelly fabric thingys you put in dryer.. No issues ever!

Those actual can hurt the breathability of our shirts.  I advise against using them.

•  

I keep myself firmly grounded to prevent any static build up.

•  

We use the fabric softener dryer sheets as well, hypoallergenic, no perfumes or dyes.....guess I need to stop using them on my FJs......thanks for the heads up, Devin......  :-)

•  

I have used only fabric softener and never had a problem with static. And spraying them with static guard is something I tried on several shirts and had negative effects from the product. If you are not careful, it can stain the fabric which does not come out when washed. Fortunately the shirts damaged were not from FJ so it was a lesson learned without losing one of my

•  

Let me weigh in a bit. My wife is a fabric care technology scientist, and worked with a couple pretty big consumer product companies and how fabric, especially performance fabric, reacts in wash/dry conditions. A fabric softener sheet is bad because it "rubs" against the fabric and leave a residue that bonds into the weave and deposits a substance that is a chemical. In short that residue is sticky and as Dev says, clogs up the breathability. Like clogging up a filter really.

So always use cold water. Always zip up zippers. Never use fabric softener (ever!). Always use the lowest dryer setting. Finally, there is a great product out from Method that is a spray fabric softener. It works in the dryer, sprays in, and allows a slight amount of static reduction without clogging the fabric. When it hits the heat is merely disperses in the tumbling action without adhering to the fabric. Try it.....

•  

Ok Dev... I'll just line dry!

• 1335 points

To follow up on Tar Heel's point, the residue from dryer sheets has also been claimed to be a fire hazard for your dryer.  The residue can make the lent build up faster and potentially cause a dryer fire.  

•  

Tar Heel
    Let me weigh in a bit. My wife is a fabric care technology scientist, and worked with a couple pretty big consumer product companies and how fabric, especially performance fabric, reacts in wash/dry conditions. A fabric softener sheet is bad because it "rubs" against the fabric and leave a residue that bonds into the weave and deposits a substance that is a chemical. In short that residue is sticky and as Dev says, clogs up the breathability. Like clogging up a filter really.

So always use cold water. Always zip up zippers. Never use fabric softener (ever!). Always use the lowest dryer setting. Finally, there is a great product out from Method that is a spray fabric softener. It works in the dryer, sprays in, and allows a slight amount of static reduction without clogging the fabric. When it hits the heat is merely disperses in the tumbling action without adhering to the fabric. Try it.....

That's good info.  I knew fabric softeners would clog up the fabric and make it less breathable, I just didn't know exactly how or why.  Anything that is a performance fabric should be kept far way from fabric softeners!

•  

TNT009
    Ok Dev... I'll just line dry!

Same with any performance exercise clothes.  I never use anything but detergent on my running and golf clothes.

•  

A light spritz of water works well also

•  

I just wear them once and throw them away.  That way I do not worry about stains or static.

TT