Forums

Anyone have issues with wool sweaters?

•  

This morning I noticed a hole developed just below the zipper in my wool sweater.  It's fairly new and hasn't been worn very many times.  Has anyone else noticed this in their sweaters?  It's become my favorite sweater, so I'm disappointed I'm going to need to replace it so quickly.  But I want to make sure I didn't do something wrong so this doesn't happen to the another sweater.

•  

Don't replace it -- I'm sure it can be repaired. Take it to a tailor.

•  

I have Merino Wool Performance Lined Sweaters that I have had a couple of seasons and I wear them a lot as well as a  half zip Merino Wool Sweater vest that I got for Christmas.   FJs wool sweaters have performed well for me.  Have not noticed any holes or excessive wear.  

•  

It's really not that hard to fix if the hole is not too big. If you have matching yarn, you'll have to look very hard to see a good repair job. My wife has sewn since she was a child and made this repair successfully many times. As Chris said, find a good tailor or someone that's been sewing for a long time that you trust. And watch out for moths! Good luck.

•  

I have never had a problem with my FJ Sweaters!  I am surprised to hear this...

•  

Smokers have a lot of problems with an ash falling on their sweaters.  Cigars are particularly problematic.  The other issue could be moths, a couple of good pieces of cedar in your closet will take care of that.  Finally if you are washing your sweater other zippers in the wash will snag a sweater faster than anything.  

Fortunately I quit smoking years ago,  have a moth free closet and, and the little lady washes the sweaters with couple of towels to protect them. No problems.

•  

golfchick
    Don't replace it -- I'm sure it can be repaired. Take it to a tailor.

I hadn't thought about that.  Thanks!  I'll have to see if I can find a good tailor in my area.  Since this isn't just an adjustment, I'm going to be a little more picky.

•  

NCBob
    Smokers have a lot of problems with an ash falling on their sweaters.  Cigars are particularly problematic.  The other issue could be moths, a couple of good pieces of cedar in your closet will take care of that.  Finally if you are washing your sweater other zippers in the wash will snag a sweater faster than anything.  

Fortunately I quit smoking years ago,  have a moth free closet and, and the little lady washes the sweaters with couple of towels to protect them. No problems.

No smoking or moths here.  I washed it once by itself on the hand-wash setting with the zipper zipped all the way up.  I'll add a couple of towels next time.  It would make sense that would help protect it.

Thanks for the tips guys!

•  

Beyond the FJ sweaters that are in my closet, I have a great many other Merino sweaters and vests. Never have a had a hole develop in any of them, regardless of the brand.

There are any number of ways this could have happened, and tailors can work wonders on things such as this. Small holes aren't a problem for them to solve.  

• 5065 points

It is unfortunate that a hole developed in your sweater and need to have it repaired.

The silver lining is you need to replace it. Would you buy the exact same sweater or maybe a new color?

•  

MarkWDallasTx
    It is unfortunate that a hole developed in your sweater and need to have it repaired.

The silver lining is you need to replace it. Would you buy the exact same sweater or maybe a new color?

I would like to buy the exact same color, but it was last year's model.  I love the sweater (and more importantly, so does my wife!).  That's why I was so upset the other day when I noticed the hole.  So hopefully I can get it repaired.

• 1836 points

Same thing happened to me with a hole.  I have no idea how it happened.  Wish I had thought to try to get it repaired.  Oh well, I'm wearing the replacement right now.  I bought the same color.  

I've taken to washing them inside out, making sure no pants with zippers are also in the wash and also let them line dry inside out as well.  So far no problems since.

•  

My wife is very careful in the care of her sweaters in that she only washes sweaters with sweaters.  She may throw them in the dryer for about ten minutes then hang them on a Bamboo Folding Clothes Drying Rack........no loss of color, shrinkage or holes in sweaters or any of her clothes......we have a few wool sweaters, but cotton is king in the south.....not cold enough

• 1664 points

Only issue is that mine no longer fits and I need to buy a few new ones.  Never had any issues with holes or anything, and the sweater always kept me warm when I needed it.  

• 859 points

Never had an issue here.  Have a few of the Vokey FJ merinos and wear them all the time.