Forums

Pleats

•  

As always, styles change, but comparing plain fronts to brown suits is something else. Both have been around for a long time and I have both, but prefer plain, due to the fact that I am heavier now than I was 20 yrs. ago. And with the pleats, they tend to bag out in front.

To each hsi own is the best way to choose.

•  

Oh, uh, it's the pleats... the pleats in the pants. It's an optical illusion. I was just about to take them back... to the pants store. Oh this is embarrassing.

•  

Pleats are out of fashion.

•  

It's interesting, when I started playing in the 70s I wore unpleated, straight pants (luckily missed the flair period) with cowboy  (think that's what they were called) horizontal front pockets that were the fashion. Think I changed to pleats and cuffs in the eighties and wore them seeming forever until the introduction of the flat front pants that came in the the oughties (is that the word).

Who knows what's next ... all I know is what my old man told me " if you keep it all long enough, it will become fashionable again one day".

Think he still has some brown suits. oxblood high heel shoes, flairs and all that "old" stuff packet away in anticipation.

• 4131 points

The rule for my

CROCMAN
    It's interesting, when I started playing in the 70s I wore unpleated, straight pants (luckily missed the flair period) with cowboy  (think that's what they were called) horizontal front pockets that were the fashion. Think I changed to pleats and cuffs in the eighties and wore them seeming forever until the introduction of the flat front pants that came in the the oughties (is that the word).

Who knows what's next ... all I know is what my old man told me " if you keep it all long enough, it will become fashionable again one day".

Think he still has some brown suits. oxblood high heel shoes, flairs and all that "old" stuff packet away in anticipation.

The rule for my closet is: If I haven't worn it in two years it has to go. The exceptions are specialty items. Snow skiing, Hunting, Fishing..etc

• 3284 points

I don't think flat fronts look good great for everyone (e.g. Me). Or maybe it's the combo of these low cuts with flat fronts that don't fit all body types. I do have a few pair  of flat fronts for golf but my dress slacks are mostly pleated. I guess I'm out of fashion these days. Good thing i spend a lot of time on the golf course ;)

• 4131 points

Devin,

Have the designers seen the trend away from flat front pants and shorts and towards pleats. Pleats are a more progressive look and styles in the hinterlands have not caught up yet.

MMW

•  

MarkWDallasTx
    Devin,

Have the designers seen the trend away from flat front pants and shorts and towards pleats. Pleats are a more progressive look and styles in the hinterlands have not caught up yet.

MMW

In high fashion like Prada or Gucci, yes they have pleated styles.  Our designers do not see this  trickling down into our line anytime soon.

Wait 10 years, it could change :-)

• 3539 points

I'm not a pleats guy either...I always wear flat front pants/shorts. I tend to stretch the pleats out so to get the intended look I would have to buy the waist 2-3 sizes too big.  

• 3676 points

I have one pair of golf pants that are pleated.  They get worn if its a muddy / cold day (since they're my darkest ones).  Otherwise I don't own a single pleated pant that isn't part of suit.

• 4131 points

Devin_Gmitter
    MarkWDallasTxDevin,

MMW

In high fashion like Prada or Gucci, yes they have pleated styles.  Our designers do not see this  trickling down into our line anytime soon.

Wait 10 years, it could change :-)

Don't mind me. I took me 10 years to talk my wife into marrying me. "Time is on my side" Mick Jagger

•  

@Devin, amen!  

@Josh, lol... Lets stay classy FJC and keep this a pleat-free community.

•  

Justinu3
    @Devin, amen!  

@Josh, lol... Lets stay classy FJC and keep this a pleat-free community.

Careful Josh......

A well done pant could include a single reversed out pleat and look quite nice. Have a couple pairs witht hat style that I got in Europe a few years back. One needs to be watchful as fashion changes way too fast!

Unlike some of you youngsters, I am not into the skinny pants.....

•  

Randy, I agree, however I am younger and still not into skinny pants!  

• 4617 points

I have to say that golfers as attire arbiters are a sketchy lot. Hogan wore very beautiful clothes, but fashions change for better and for worse. Look at these images and tell me who is better dressed:

I think all kinds of styles come and go and I am sure there are FJC participants who will look at Hogan's "look", pleats and all, and shudder while finding the Popsicle colors of Mr. Fowler's attire very attractive. There is room for ALL looks (though I'll bet John Daly's Loud pants will garner fewer votes than Hogan , Fowler, or Mr. Poulter....